Before going freelance in 2009, I spent a combined 12 years at the Smithsonian Institution where I held positions as:
- The science writer and communications lead for the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Edgewater, Maryland
- A video producer for the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C.
- A biological technician in the Division of Fishes
- The assistant scientific diving officer for the institution.
As a freelance, I have been a regular contributor to the Smithsonian Insider online magazine which “takes you beyond the bricks and mortar of the Smithsonian’s 19 museums and 9 research centers, to share with you the astounding and diverse work being conducted by the Smithsonian around the world.”
- Managed Beehives Can Discourage Crop-Raiding Elephants
- Deer Discovery: Invasive plants get boost from too many deer
- Smithsonian Expert Urges Caution, Patience on Blue Crab Recovery
- Not Guilty: Cownose Rays Aquitted in Oyster Decimation Charge
- Rare Cancer Cells Discovered in Naked Mole Rat
- Rising acidification of estuary waters spells trouble for Chesapeake Bay oysters