As a freelance writer, I have written for magazines, newspapers, research institutions, corporations and hospitals. Some of my current ongoing work includes two articles per issue for Weatherwise magazine, and regular posts to a patient story blog for Anne Arundel Medical Center, regular contributions to Smithsonian magazine.
I have written about a wide range of subject areas including natural history, Earth sciences, oceanography, marine science, meteorology, the environment, climate change, health and medicine, and biomedical research. My articles have been cited in The Daily Beast, National Geographic Online, and the US Air Force Center for Strategy and Technology.
Previous staff positions:
Science writer for Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
Assistant Editor and Interim Managing Editor for Weatherwise magazine
Video Producer for Smithsonian’s Natural History Update
Blogging about science at: Point 71
Articles at Smithsonian magazine
Bye-Bye Bivalves (Taste of the Bay regional magazine)
Mercury Hot Spots (Smithsonian Environmental Research Center quarterly publication)
Mangroves in the Margin (Smithsonian Environmental Research Center quarterly publication)
On Pins and Needles (Chesapeake Family parenting magazine)
- Archived web articles on Smithsonian Environmental Research Center site
Departments appearing in each issue of Weatherwise:
- WeatherFront: News round-up
- On the Job: Q&A profile: Jack Hayes,
- Archive of all articles in Weatherwise magazine (dating back to 1997) Can be sorted by most current date.
- Evil Genes: Science and Spirit Magazine:
- Six Legged Soldiers: Science and Spirit Magazine:
- The Dominant Animal: Environment Magazine
Copywriting clients have included the National Museum of Natural History, Clinical RM, Anne Arundel Medical Center and others.